Detailed 3 Days Rwanda Birding Safaris tour
Day 1: Birding in Nyarutarama and transfer to Akagera National Park
You will be picked up from the hotel by our representative after breakfast and will be driven to Nyarutarama Lake located near the Kigali Golf Course. It has paths around it that offer excellent birdwatching around the lake, providing a good count of water species. Some of the birds you will see birds like the yellow-billed Duck, Squacco Heron, White-faced Whistling Duck, Hottentot Teal, Red-billed Teal, African Spoonbill, Spur-winged Geese, Little Grebe, Common Moorhen, Hadada Ibis, Black Crake, Black Egret, Cater Egret, and Black-headed Heron among others.
The vegetation on the fringes of the lake provides many birds such as Black Kite, African Fish Eagle, Pygmy Kingfisher, White-browed Coucal, Grey-capped Warbler, Winding Cisticola, Tawny-flanked Prinia, Paradise Flycatcher, African Hobby, Swamp Flycatcher, etc. A little further to the east of the lake is acacia woodlands that will add to your list with some raptors such as the Mountain Buzzard, and several smaller birds such as Swifts, Martin, Swallow, and Sunbirds.
You will be transferred to Akagera National Park after reaching in the afternoon. You will have lunch at Akagera game lodge and will enjoy a boat ride on Lake Ihema with an opportunity to view water bird species with a chance of spotting the African Finfoot. Dinner and overnight stay at Akagera Game Lodge (Mid-range) Ruzizi Tented Camp
Day 2 of 3 Days Rwanda Birding Safaris Tour: Bird watching in Akagera National Park
You will set off in the early morning after breakfast and will be driven along the bird game tracks in the park with an opportunity to see a variety of savanna-related bird species. The park is renowned for its great profusion of water birds across the East African region as well as among the unique places to see papyrus endemics. Among the common species to look out for are the beautiful lilac-breasted roller, crested barbet, black-headed gone, ross’s turaco, heuglin’s robin-chat as well as the grey hornbill among others.
You will have lunch and will continue searching for other birds in the afternoon and may have an opportunity to spot Northern Brown-throated Weaver; White-Winged Swamp Warbler; Carruthers Cisticola, White-collared Olive back, and Grey-crowned Cranes. Another desirable species you may spot is the Shoebill which is also seen in the park fairly regularly. Dinner and overnight stay at Akagera Game Lodge (Mid-range) Ruzizi Tented Camp.
Day 3 of 3 Days Rwanda Birding Safaris Tour: Transfer to Kigali and birding in Mt. Kigali
After breakfast, you will be transferred to Mount Kigali which is the largest hill in the vicinity of Kigali City and has a forest that is a worthy birding spot. You may encounter birds like the African Paradise Flycatcher, White-eyed Slaty Flycatcher, Southern Black Flycatcher, Red-chested Cuckoo, Green-backed Camaroptera, Thick-billed Seedeater, Tropical Boubou, Northern Puffback, Common Bulbul, Bronze Mannikin, Yellow-fronted Canary. You will have lunch after and will be transferred to your hotel after.
End of the 3 Days Rwanda Birding Safaris tour
3 Days Rwanda Birding Safaris Tour Inclusions and Exclusions
- Transport on a 4WD vehicle with a pop-up roof, which enables you to spot wildlife more easier
- Meals as indicated
- Park entrance fees
- Driver’s allowances
- Service of an English-speaking professional guide/Driver
- Camping fees, Mattresses (If Camping)
- Crater fees
- Food, cooking, and all kitchen utensils (If Camping)
- Mineral water 1.5lt per person per day
- Activities as per the itinerary above
- International flights to/from your home
- Tips & gratuities
- The first night on your arrival and the last night after the safari
- Airport transfers (book with us)
- Personal Insurance
- Sleeping bag (if Camping)
- Olduvai Gorge fees
- Alcoholic drinks
- Flying doctor’s insurance, we can arrange for a request.
- Tips to the driver/guide and all items of personal nature/use.
3 Days Rwanda Birding Safaris Tour Booking Terms and Conditions
- We require a deposit of 50% of the total tour cost for the clients to safeguard the reservations and gorilla and Chimpanzee tracking permits in case they are involved.
- The balance should be paid 1 month before the arrival.
- For bookings coming one month before departure, we shall require the full payment of the tour costs.
- The payment is made by international money transfer to the company bank account in Uganda.
- Tour tariffs are based on all known costs and rates of exchange at the time of the transfer, any significant changes beyond that will be immediately communicated to our clients.
- We also retain the right to alter any arrangements due to local conditions. We also retain the right to refuse any person from participating or continuing any tour if that person causes or is deemed to cause a hazard or inconvenience to other clients and our environment and ecosystems.
- Please note that in Uganda US dollar banknotes series before the year 2006 are accepted only with a low exchange rate, therefore clients are advised to travel to Uganda with more recent banknotes series. The same applies to banknotes below 50 USD.